The new year is upon us, and we’re all ready for a fresh start. How’s your plan for 2016? Now’s the time to make a resolution to have your best fundraising year ever. We’ve prepared a quick, 10-step checklist to help you make sure you’ve got the pieces in place for a fantastic year of giving in 2016.
1. Our donate button is easy to find on our website.
In December, St. Margaret Mary Church was ready for Christmas giving, with a DONATE NOW button right near the top of the page and a slider highlighting their Christmas events.
2. We have included recurring giving options on most, if not all, of our online giving events.
The Church of Holy Apostles lets you set up your Christmas gift for multiple years at once. You can do this for any holiday or annual event!
3. Our email messages have catchy subject lines that invite donors to open them.
St. Josaphat keeps things interesting by varying email subject lines for special events while maintaining their regular newsletter.
4. Our outreach is focused on our donors, not us.
These are the folks you want to impress. Not your board, not your boss… focus on the DONORS.
5. We include a compelling image in each message.
The Office for Peace and Justice illustrates their need with one strong image to indicate what your donation will support.
6. Our emails tell a story, but are short enough to be reasonably read on a smartphone.
People are busy! Make a resolution to make your emails easy to read on the go.
7. We are utilizing our social media channels daily to bolster our message of giving.
Interspersing charitable and mission-based messages, St. John Berchmans led into the Christmas season with something for everyone.
8. We have planned a day-before giving message with a sense of urgency and a clear call to action.
Your target is that one special event on a particular day, but your plan starts now.
9. We have a plan in place to thank our donors, and to follow up with them to share the results of their gifts.
Thank you notes were important at Christmas, certainly, but make a resolution to follow up again throughout the new year.
10. We have started a fundraising plan for 2016!
A resolution of better planning will ensure an even better fiscal year. Start with an outline and build from there.