Giving Tuesday falls on the 3rd of December this year. As for professionals in the world of nonprofit fundraising, it is time to start preparing for the big day. Be it the adoption of methods like mobile giving, online donation or fundraising events, there are many stages that planning and execution includes. Read about the ways in which you can prepare in our article here. As you gear up, here are a few learnings over the past few years that you may want to consider and keep in mind.
- A 2019 prediction states that #GivingTuesday donation this year will surpass $500M. This is a finding also based on the analysis of the search that is trending around “Giving Tuesday”.
- Giving Tuesday has become a global craze; but a purposeful and meaningful one at that. It is a phenomenon that levels up the intensity of the act of giving; it encourages and inspires people to give.
- Giving Tuesday is active in more than 150 countries. Moreover, it has become a tradition; the list includes countries like USA, Germany, Russia, India, Argentina, Armenia, Argentina and so on.
- It is interesting to learn that nonprofits made over $125 million from 473,000 donors using Facebook Fundraiser. This is credited to the gift matching program launched by Facebook and Paypal. In this program, both companies made an agreement that the first $7 million dollars would be mirrored, to spark a sense of urgency among the givers.
- Less than 50% of donors have never heard of #GivingTuesday. Although this isn’t too bad a number, this means that more outreach and communication are waiting to be done, a plan to reach and retain these donors is essential.
- When it comes to the tuesday after charitable giving, donations break records. Since its launch, #GivingTuesday has indeed set, and then broken, the Guinness World Record for the maximum amount of online donation to charity in 24 hours.
- For the animal lovers, here is a fact you’ll love. Lacey is a golden retriever who was funded through donations on #GivingTuesday for her first year of assistance dog training.
It is important to remember that we’re collecting for real issues in need of real help. That is why nonprofit fundraising is a profession that sparks so much joy. This epic day of giving receives donation through different methods. Although social media has been a huge instrument, mobile giving also plays its own part. Feel free to explore and take your chances in spreading the love.